Friday, August 22, 2008

Indian Market volunteer

Yesterday was my first day as a volunteer for Indian Market. My shift was from 7:30 AM until 4 PM. Yes, I said 7:30 AM. Anyone who knows me will be surprised that I got up that early! I hate, hate, hate mornings! I worked the area where we welcomed the artists and assisted them in checking in their contest pieces. I met scads of delightful artists. Everyone was patient and understanding even when they found out that we were out of entry forms. We had to wait about 45 minutes to get more but still I didn't hear anyone grumble. The artists come from all parts of the country. Some of them were so tired from their long drive. Two men had driven from Florida and were caught in horrible weather but they made it in time to get their work checked in. They were still smiling!
I had a grand time and got to see some beautiful beadwork. One woman made a doll decorated with the tiniest beads one can possibly imagine. I've seens lots of tiny beads but none like these. When first saw the piece from a couple of feet away I thought she had painted the garment. The shading was fabulous! I saw some more beautiful dolls, beaded cradleboards and beaded buckskin dance regalia. I didn't have time to look at everything, darn it. I will be working again this afternoon so I'll get to see the winners in each of the categories. I'm working the "silent auction" today and again tomorrow night. I'll have to slap my hands to keep from bidding on everything!

2 comments:

beadnik said...

Ooooh! I'm jealous, Suzanne! I haven't gotten to Indian Market in the past few years, I always forget and end up working. As usual, I'm working tonight and tomorrow night. Ah well, give Sally and Jerry a hug! And buy lotsa goodies,
cheers,
Sarah

Love2Bead said...

I got to see Sally and Jerry yesterday during the time the artists were bringing in their work for the contests. Both looked wonderful and happy! I just love those two people.