Thursday, August 12, 2010

Indian Market 2010

It's almost time for Indian Market and I can hardly wait. The show is August 21-22, 2010. There are gallery shows opening all over town too. There will be 1200 artists from about 100 tribes who show their work in over 600 booths. The event attracts an estimated 100,000 visitors to Santa Fe from all over the world.

Saturday night there is a Gala Auction and dinner. The auction items bring in lots of money that helps fund the show. The items are donated by the artists. Each year there is a collaboration piece with four or five artists working on different compenents of the piece. This year's item is a fabulous butterfly necklace. I am drooling over a red and black glass blown piece decorated with sterling silver and coral. It was made by Robert "Spooner" Marcus, Ohkay Owingeh and Michael Roanhorse, Diné. It is valued at $18,000.00. I wonder if I could sell my car and buy it????

As usual I can't wait to see what Marcus Amerman, Choctaw has made for the show. His beadwork is fabulous!

This event is truly a feast for the eyes and the fry bread is a feast for the tummy!

3 comments:

Tim, Lisa, Trenton, and Grant said...

Sounds quite interesting. I am not an art fan, but can appreciate other interests people enjoy.

beadnik said...

I can't wait! I have a friend that I haven't seen for 10 years or so flying in from Portland, and another friend hopefully coming up from Albq. I have time off from work and a charged camera. It's been a long time since I've been able to see Indian Market. Wheeeee!

Suzanne Cooper said...

My daughter and son-in-law are coming and I can't wait. He has not been to Indian Market. He loves turquoise so it will be fun to watch his eyes bug out!!!